Saturday, April 7, 2012

Just when you thought I wasn't speaking to you...

Taco's with Cowboy Chili on a tin plate...like a real cowboy...
Hello friends,

Yes, I had thought I would give this up.  There are so many good Thermomix sites now and I no longer sell Thermie's so there was no real need to continue.  Also, I had lost my mojo with it all.  Don't think I have stopped cooking in Thermie - it's my number one kitchen appliance still.

Anyway,  I have a lot to share - I won't even attempt it in one post.  I have been to Berlin, Singapore, London and Vietnam since my last post and have tried lots of cooking from the places I visited.  Not all with Thermie but usually as a tool in some form as I cook.  I have also attended another Urban Provider lesson Thermomix Passions 2 and the Vietnam tour was through his company.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - top lessons, fabulous trips, well worth every penny.  I highly recommend Nico's classes and now I can highly recommend his trips.

So, a chili recipe to share.  I have made so many different chili recipes over the years.  I hate those seasoning packs you get in the supermarket.  They are so full of nasty ingredients and thickeners etc.  I used to make a friend's recipe for years but it was long and complicated and chili should be something quick and convenient - especially for those of us who work/cook for families.

Here is my current favourite, largely based on Pioneer Woman's recipe.  This is a great cook book BTW, I got it one Chrissy from my bestie (thanks bestie).  I have made many, many of the recipes in this book. The Pico de Gallo and Guacamole and both totally delicious.  Have a look at her fabulous blog and as many of you will know she has a recipe/cooking community "Tasty Kitchen"  linked in my sidebar.  She has a new book too, check it out.

Ingredients:

500g beef mince (I buy organic or Angus Park)
1 tin of whole peeled tomatoes (400g)
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1/2 the empty tomato can of water
2 cloves of garlic
1 small de-seeded chili (not too fiery)
1 tbsp of Mexican chili powder
1/4 tsp of dried oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp Dutch processed cocoa
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp of corn flour or messa flour
Juice of a lime
1 tin of kidney beans

To serve;
Sour cream, avocado, grated cheddar, shredded lettuce, thinly snipped spring onions, chilies, corn chips or tacos or rice.  If you have the Pioneer Woman cook book - make up some Pico de Gallo and some guacamole to serve with it.

I don't clean out the bowl in between steps, just a good scrape.

Here 'tis:

1.  Crush garlic and chili on speed 6 for 3 seconds.  Scrape out and set aside.
2.  Pour in tinned tomatoes, 1/2 can of water and 1 Tbsp of tomato paste.  Puree for about 10 seconds on speed 5/6.  Pour out and set aside.
3.  Measure out all spices into TM, tip in crushed chili and garlic and add meat. Brown on 100c for 10 minutes, reverse, speed soft.
4.  Add tomato mixture and cook for a further 20 minutes on 100c, reverse and speed soft.
5.  Mix the corn/messa flour with the lime juice and add to TM with the rinsed kidney beans - cook as before for 5 more minutes.

Ta da!  I use this as my nacho and taco mince.  It is kid friendly very tasty and wouldn't know MSG if it hit it in the eye!

Heat in chili is up to you, add more fresh and/or dried to intensify heat.  I tend to serve a dish of snipped dried chili or a bottle of Tabasco for the heat seekers.

This served 3 greedy people very easily and I filled a 750m Decor container with left-overs.  When my older kiddies lived here I added more beans and put out extra toppings to make it stretch further.

I am on the hunt for a good vegetarian chili - please leave a comment or a link in comments if you know of a good one.

Divided into 8 servings this equals 4 Weight Watchers pro-points.

ThermoMINX

1 comment: