Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Simple Lentil and Potato Soup

This is a really nutritious budget soup that is far tastier than it would first appear on reading the recipe.  Let's face it peeps, the day before shopping day in my pantry, it all looks pretty grim.  In fact,  I think you could call me 'Old Mother Hubbard.'  Our big joke is Wednesday is chick-pea day.

That aside, this recipe is similar to one I found in "The Real Food Companion" by Matthew Evans.  I really like this book, I like all the recipes for pastry, rice pudding, soup and coq au vin.  It's 'old skool' cooking revitalized. You may have seen Matthew's TV series on pay TV here in Aus. I would love to live like he does, on a farm in Tassie... I'm pea green with envy!  The introduction in this book makes buying it worth the cost (although mine was a pressie, thank you Sam), it's a lovely, contemplative and personal commentary on cooking and eating.

So, I loosely based this on the 'Green Lentil, Potato and Lemon Soup' on page 117.

Here is how I made this in Thermie, I'm sure you will have all you need to make it the day before shopping too.

Ingredients:

2 onions, halved and skinned
2 cloves of garlic, skinned
1 small red chili
20g olive oil
3 medium potatoes
220g of brown lentils (this is what was in the cupboard)
1.1 Litres of kettle hot water
4 teaspoons of chicken style stock powder
Salt and Pepper
Juice of half a small lemon

Optional:  To serve, Greek yoghurt and sprigs of thyme.

To make it;

Blast the onion, chili and garlic on speed 5 for 3 seconds.
Add oil and cook on Varoma for 3 minutes, speed soft.
Add peeled and roughly chopped spuds, lentils, water and 4 tsps of chicken stock.
Cook on 100c for 40 mins, reverse, speed soft.
Add the lemon juice through the hole in the last 5 minutes of cooking and season to taste.

The lentils have a lovely nutty taste and still hold their shape.  This is a hearty, thick soup with a cloudy broth.  It was ridiculously popular with my kids - they had seconds.  I love the way the potatoes soften but don't completely disintegrate altogether.

We have this with some plain bread cooked on the pizza stone and sprinkled with EVOO and flavoured salt.

Delicious, nutritious and dirt cheap.

Edit:  When divided into 8 portions, omitting the Greek yoghurt this soup has 4 Weight Watchers pro-points.

Yours in cheapo soups,
Thermominx

4 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing. I can't wait to give it a try.
    I think it would go wonderfully with a soda bread too.
    Yummi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long would you cook it for if you are using tinned lentils?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just add the rinsed lentils for the last 5 minutes. Make sure you have the blade on reverse. All you need to do is heat the lentils because they are already cooked.

    ReplyDelete