Monday, June 4, 2012

Berry Scones

Berry Scones
These are not your Nanna's Aussie/British scones, these are the sweet and flavoured American style and they are awesome.  Having said that, my first 'American' style scone was at a Canadian owned cafe in Berlin 'Katy's Blue Cat' in Kreuzberg...a true melting pot moment.  They were absolutely delicious, soft crumb, sweet berries, crunchy crust.  No need for adornment.

So I had a hankering for some afternoon tea yesterday and needed a fast recipe that didn't have me standing too long, I have an injured knee.  I'd like to say it was a dance/gymnastics/sports related injury but that would be a complete lie!  It was a wet floor, rushing injury. Now I look like I've just got off a horse when I walk, even with my crutches.

Anyhoo, I found a recipe on Martha Stewart that I used as a very loose guide and converted to Thermie.

Pre-heat your oven to 220c and line a baking tray with non-stick paper. Go on, do it.

Ingredients - not all in grams - sorry...

370g of sr flour
90g of raw caster sugar
1 pinch of baking powder
1 pinch of salt
40g butter
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup of milk, soured with a teaspoon of vinegar
1 tsp of vanilla essence
A couple of handfuls of mixed berries.

Measure in the first 4 ingredients and mix on speed 3 for 3 seconds.
Add diced butter.  Set to closed lid and hit turbo 3 or 4 times until the mix looks like fine bread crumbs.  Check mix and go again if need be.

Add egg yolk, vanilla and milk mixture and set to closed lid and use the turbo button until the mix comes together.

Tip dough onto a floured surface and press out gently.  Press berries over the top of the dough and fold a few times, not overworking dough, until the berries are gently incorporated.  I used frozen berries which held their shape well during this step.

Cut into pieces with a knife or cutter.  I got 12 medium sized scones by just cutting with my kitchen knife - I like rustic - or you could do some giant ones. Place scones close to one and other on the lined baking tray.  Either brush with milk or egg-wash and sprinkle a little more sugar on the top.

Bake for 20 minutes.
Moist crumb, sweet fruit, crunchy topping...

Eat hot! These were a big hit and because of the sugar and berries you don't need jam or whipped cream.  We had a little bit of butter with ours.
Breakfast, afternoon tea, lunch-box snack?

Some variations I think would work well; diced apple and cinnamon at the roll out stage, diced pear and dark chocolate chips or replace the vanilla with lemon zest.


Think I might stick the kettle on and have another one...

Edit:  I have since joined Weight Watchers and I am loving the plan!  I worked out that these have 4 pro-points each - so I guess 1 is enough.  They freeze well in individual containers for the 4 pm sugar crave hour.  You could add a tablespoon of oat bran to increase the fibre.  

Yours in quick treats,
ThermoMINX


1 comment:

  1. These look amazing. Oh, Katy's Blue Cat, ahhh.

    ReplyDelete